Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thoughts O'Easter Eve


I can't think of a more perfect day than Easter Sunday to post my first blog entry.  I spend the entire day yesterday sifting and beating and creaming.  My need to bake is as ferocious as my need to write.  And the two are not exclusive of each other.   As I bake, I think.  And my thoughts compel me to write. 

As I baked for this festive occasion, my thoughts were about humanity. And about empathy. And about compassion.  I wondered why we as society have come to, or have chosen to continue to (depending on your faith) lack compassion and value for each other as humans. We are never willing to admit that we are insensitive to others, or to the social ills of the world. It is rare that someone says, "Recycling is a waste of time." Enthusiasm for "Going Green" is increasingly verifiable with the push for automotive reform, millions of new online networking websites, and bill pay and email accounts established each year.  Yet there seems to be a shortage of constructive solutions that would extinguish social underdevelopment - the social burdens poverty and dysfunction evoke, and the limitations they produce.  There are islands that are (or should be) designated to THOSE people.  They'll never amount to anything, so why bother.

Is saving the world somehow more posh than saving the lives of human beings? Or is it just easier?

Voila! Mon gateau de Paques!

1 comment: